Sunday, August 8, 2010

Homeless

For several months now I have been going downtown with a local ministry to help serve lunch to the homeless and to help meet their needs. The ministry's goal is to build relationships with the folks on the street, to tell them the good news of Christ and to offer them hope and a way out if possible.

Someone this past week thanked me for my servants heart. But I don't have a servants heart. I have a grateful heart. I cannot believe God has blessed me with the opportunity to see Him in action each week. Granted he is in action around me all the time. But this is an out of the box, away from the church building... In the dark sort of thing... Where people don't really have hope. They don't have a bed or a change of clothes. They don't even have a toilet, much less hope for a better tommorow. They are sick, they are addicted, they are without work and they need to be loved. They need to see God's love in action and they need to know of a hope in Christ. They need to know they matter. That Christ paid a high price for them and they are of great value...

And each Sunday I am privilidged to see the Love of God at work. It is an awesome blessing and I am honored beyond words to be a part of it. And I can't keep from talking about it.

So maybe instead of annoying my friends as much with these stories on twitter and facebook maybe I'll blog them. I can't promise to stop the tweets but I will try.

And fair warning, I am not above taking the clothes off of your back for my friends downtown. Especially if you happen to be a man.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    What came first, your servants heart or your greatful heart? You do have both and it is a blessing for me to see how God has used you and strengthened your faith.

    Wonderful Reflection on your day.

    TY! :)
    Bradley

    August 8, 2010 11:06 PM

    Lulalu said...
    You are kind Bradley. I'm pretty sure I'm too selfish to have a servant's heart.

    I do want to clarify that most of the homeless I meet are men and that is why I'm more likely to take the clothes off your back if you are a man. I just reread this post and was a little shocked at myself for not clearing that up in the post.

    August 9, 2010 3:45 PM

    Ashes said...
    I love you, Sweetie. I think you should blog, tweet, facebook, shout-from-the-rooftops ALL of your experiences. I love hearing about them, they are convicting, galvanizing, inspiring, humbling, amazing.

    You are a fabulous, wonderful individual. You are a blessing to me.

    love,

    ash

    August 15, 2010 2:54 PM

    MzLibrarian said...
    What could you use? Just let me know.

    August 20, 2010 11:49 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started this blog somewhere else with many of the posts found here. This may be a vain thing, but the comments left there are very encouraging to me so I am transferring them over to this blog.

    ReplyDelete