Monday, August 23, 2010

It is God

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast,because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal. Isaiah 26:3-4


So, in previous posts I've been telling you how abnormal it is for me to be out talking to people on the streets because I'm a quiet, awkward person. That is so true. I mean seriously, you put me in a crowd and I shut up. Even around friends, the bigger the crowd the quieter I am. And that's also true in talking to people I don't really know. Typically, I joke that you have to know me about 2 years before I'll actually really talk to you in any sort of normal way. That's not because I don't want to talk to you, it's because I'm weird and talking is just not normal with me. It's like my brain is literally blank... not a thought in there at all. It takes a good person to stick it out and befriend me. However, I don't hate being quiet, I mean, I regret the awkwardness; but, I honestly don't even always notice lulls in conversations around me sometimes.

I tell you the above just because I want you to know that my participation in the homeless ministry is a God thing. It is God. It is God. It is God. I wouldn't have the opportunity and I wouldn't be capable of participating if it wasn't. Yesterday, I was talking with a fella I had never met before. As I already told you, I was doing the needs list so I had a task to perform in talking with the man. But, as I was talking to him I was learning a little about him. I found out he was a 60 year old Vietnam Vet. What do you say to that? "Thanks for serving, sorry you are having to live on the streets now?" That doesn't seem sincere... I mean it might be true... but it seems sort of generic.... I mean the man served our country and now he's living on the street! Now there may be some other things going on with him that led to where he is now, but that doesn't mean it's not sad. And, I'll tell you, he told me that part of his story looking for an answer, an answer I don't have. I didn't have much to say but I did give him a hug and he seemed happy with that answer, for now. If you know me well, you also know I am not a huggy person. I'm not. If you get hugs from me, you are among few. But, I think that hug was an answer from God. He gave me that answer and I was grateful for it. Because whatever his story is, it seems he did deserve something.

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie! I am so inspired by you! Your involvement in this ministry has helped me to even BEGIN "putting my money where my mouth is" with the population I feel called to (which you know)....so i want to thank you and give glory to God for that. I was feeling overwhelmed with it....and you showed me how to make a start. I love you, sweetie, and will try to always pray for you and this ministry.

    GLad you created a new blog, too, btw. It looks great. I hope you can link to the formal "ministry" website.

    And you know me---I'm always on the lookout for a good deal these days. Can you make a page of needs or email me things that y'all need? Then I can keep my eyes peeled for good deals that I know will be in my path.

    Love you.

    -Ashes

    ReplyDelete
  2. As of yet, I don't think the ministry has a website. But it is an official nonprofit organization. So donations do count towards your taxes.

    JM and KM put togther needs lists sometimes. Most of the people who show up on Sundays are men. So things that men use is what is needed. Razors, shaving cream, tooth paste, tooth brushes, deoderant, mouthwash etc.

    And there are things like men's boxers and socks that you can't really get at a thrift store. Individually wrapped snacks are good too. But keep in mind with the snacks that we see around 15 folks each Sunday now and that number could be higher in the fall when it's not so hot. In the Spring they fed 25 to 30 folks sometimes.

    Sweetie, I'm very excited to hear about what you are doing. That is an awesome thing to get involved with. I can't wait to hear about how that is going.

    Thank you for the prayers. I will be praying for you too. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete