Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Back Again

Sunday, I must confess, I went to church out of obligation. I wanted to sleep in; but, I had an obligation, so I went. I'm so glad I did because I was able to spend a little time with a couple of the fellas that have been coming to church through the homeless ministry. Last time I saw them it was before Christmas and they had said they weren't sure they would continue to come after the new year. So, I was glad to see them. One of the men had a new coat on. I complemented him on it and he told me it was a woman's coat. I could tell he was a little embarrassed about it. I hadn't realized that when I saw him so I told him it looked fine and that if it was a warm coat then it was a good coat. He told me about a job possibility he had heard about and he sounded so hopeful. I told him that I would keep him in my prayers. I so hope he gets the job. It seemed like a long shot but you never know. Sunday night I could hardly sleep because I couldn't get the men from my church out of my mind. I just want to make them be ok but you can't do that.

That afternoon, my mother went with me downtown to see what I had gotten so passionate about. I was thrilled that she took an interest. We had a good crowd. Some of the fellas we hadn't seen in a while were back and it was good to catch up with them.

I've gotten where I don't get to know the men as well because the crowds are so big and I'm often serving the food. I'm happy to do whatever is needed, so that is fine. And honestly, with my social awkwardness that is probably the best place for me. But, I sort of struggle with what stories to tell you on my blog. Much of what I share are the stories of other peoples interaction.

One of the stories I heard about this past week was the story of two of the ministry fellas asking someone on the streets if they could pray for him. The man asked them, "Do you know how to pray?" When I heard that, I literally sobbed. The man on the street didn't know the veil has been torn. Christ has come. We can talk to the Lord ourselves and you don't have to have fancy words. You just have to talk. After the prayer, he told the ministry fellas that it was a good prayer. I hope he knows he can talk to God himself now.

The ministry is about to announce a new name and a website. I can't wait to share it with you.
Please keep the men and women at my church and with the downtown ministry in your prayers.

God is mighty to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment