Friday, January 28, 2011

More stories

Even though I haven't posted in a couple of weeks, the stories continue.
Last week My friend J, who comes to my church through a homeless ministry, stopped me to talk about his week. I like J. I think he could live a different life. Of course, we all can. But, I just see him and think he is sooo close to changing his. But, I also worry about him. He told me last week that he had decided to stop drinking. I didn't know he drank before but it didn't shock me. No one ends up on the street without a reason. He also gave me an update on a job opportunity. It didn't sound like it was going to work out and my heart broke for him. I sort of regretted asking him about it because it put him in an awkward spot. No one wants to be rejected. Pray for him and those he has supporting him at church. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to live on the street.... Actually on the street, and overcome an addiction. But, at the same time, I'm hoping that he is getting a lot of support from his Sunday School Class.

I also spent about an hour talking with a woman downtown, L, who had been on the street for about seven months. She lives in a tent under a bridge with her husband. Once upon a time, many years ago, she fought in the Gulf War, Once upon a time she worked in Homecare taking care of others, Once upon a time she was paid to work with computers, Once upon a time she lost her 1st husband and then her 2nd. Once upon a time the computer company she worked for shut down. Now she is on the street. It's crazy. Just before I left on Sunday she asked me if I knew of a job, to let her know. People often ask us to do that. I think sometimes, the ministry is able to help some people out. But, honestly I've no idea how to help someone out like that. None. Zippo. I know about other programs in the city but none specifically for her type of situation. Clearly, I don't know everything (or much at all) but I'd like to be a little better at helping people out like her. I feel like I should at least know what sort of programs are offered through the public library. But then I wonder, how do people living on the street get a job? Don't you have to have a home address? I don't know. But, I intend to find out. Pray for this woman and continue to pray for the ministry as they continue to share the Love of Christ with others so that it will change people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment